Saturday, August 26, 2006

Heavy Flashback to the 80's


Tonight I decided to go to Blockbuster to rent a movie. While perusing the shelves I spotted a movie that I hadn't even thought about in 20 years or so. The movie I'm referring to is An Early Frost starring Aiden Quinn, Gena Rowlands, Ben Gazzara, Sylvia Sidney, John Glover, Terry O'Quinn and Bill Paxton. The screenplay was written by Ron Cowen and Daniel Lipman (creators and producers of Showtime's "Queer As Folk"). It was nominated for 14 Emmys and won 4. In 1985 this made for TV movie was one of the first shows that introduced the country to the reality of AIDS. It reminded me of a time when AIDS was a death sentence of 6 months to a year, and that was the lucky ones. I think back to the mid eighties and am astonished at the number of friends I lost to this horrible disease. Yes, this is a very heavy subject but the writers did an outstanding job portraying the truths and prejudices surrounding AIDS in the eighties and sadly to some extent still today. I recommend seeing this movie, yes it is a tear jerker but I also think of it as a reminder of how far we have come with respect to extending and improving the quality of peoples lives who are living with AIDS. That said, I think I am going to watch a little TV and then hit the sack (1:25am Sunday).



See you next time.

4 Comments:

Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Wow...I should have called you. I thought that you'd be sleeping 10:00 my time.

That was a great movie. I remember watching in the 80s when I was 5 :)

6:18 AM  
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Oh, and I like that you're posting to your blog...KEEP IT UP! VEGAS in FIVE DAYS BABY!

6:19 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

5.....you make me laugh!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Ur-spo said...

sad movie about a sad time - and more chilling as so many people (especially youngsters) think 'it is over'.
To keep you balanced, next time you are at the video store, get one of the Marx Brothers Movies.

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home